Here's another reason to love your local credit union: The Spokane Valley’s first 240-volt charging station for electric cars opens to the public when Spokane Teachers Credit Union starts serving members at its new South Valley Branch location on Monday, December 12th.
From Dan Hansen:
That level II charging station, paired with two parking spaces reserved for electric cars or chargeable hybrids, is just one of the earth-friendly features designed into the branch at 13211 E. 32nd. Others include:
- Solar panels that at times will generate a surplus of power.
- A rooftop and parking lot that reflect heat, rather than absorbing it.
- Building materials that were mostly mined or produced within 500 miles of the construction site.
- A shower for employees who walk or pedal to work. (The branch also is located on a bus route.)
- Lights and a heating system that are highly energy efficient.
- A no-smoking policy that includes the parking lot.
“We set out with a goal to make this the most environmentally sustainable full-service branch operated by any financial institution in the region,” said Patsy Gayda, STCU vice president of branches. “Our members expect us to be good stewards of resources.”